[Lancaster] idea for regular computer evening at the Basement

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 19:17:58 UTC 2008

Wayne Ward wrote:
> Yes andy im interested in this I will pay towards the connection
> Sounds like a great idea and this would be a great opportunity for a news
> paper ad in the citizen to get more public attention.
> I would be up for a drive to the linux lab in Sheffield do you have any
> contacts there so we could arrange a meet to ask some questions etc..
> I don't mind helping out on a night and i dont mind helping on linux and mac
> and would donate one of the mac G4's im just building for the project.
> Sounds like a great place for talks and demonstrations.

OK, cool! Would be good to have some help paying for the broadband and
keeping it open.

I talked to Max, who's been involved in the Linux group a bit before,
and also is involved with the Basement, and he was saying the thing to
do at some point is to talk to the people from Single Step about the
idea and see what they think. He was saying it's the kind of thing they
would probably support but the thing to do would be to write up a
proposal and make things as clear as possible so they know what they are
saying yes to. Their next meeting is on 7th November, which is probably
too soon for us to put together a final proposal, but we could maybe get
a basic outline written up before then and give it to them to have a
look at.

I have met a couple of people from Access Space a few years ago so will
try to get in touch with them soon to ask about a visit.

andy