[Lancaster] idea for regular computer evening at the Basement

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 20 22:03:04 UTC 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008 20:04, Wayne Ward wrote:
> Yes andy im interested in this I will pay towards the connection
> Sounds like a great idea and this would be a great opportunity for a news
> paper ad in the citizen to get more public attention.
> I would be up for a drive to the linux lab in Sheffield do you have any
> contacts there so we could arrange a meet to ask some questions etc..
> I don't mind helping out on a night and i dont mind helping on linux and
> mac and would donate one of the mac G4's im just building for the project.
> Sounds like a great place for talks and demonstrations.
>
> On another note good move ken for removing vista from your hardisk
> I would sell the licence on ebay!!

If only! as with many suppliers, MESH Computers only provide a system recovery
disc, not a full installation disc. Besides, I would feel bad about
inflicting Vista on someone else.

> Its probably the lamest operating system
> ive ever used!

I won't disagree with that.

> Hope the suse 64 install wen well i bet its snappy!

Snappy? With the quad core processor, at times it's disconcertingly quick, but
I guess that I'll get used to it.   :-)

Presently, I'm still playing with this machine. The motherboard doesn't
include a parallel port, so I've had to add a PCI/parallel card. I'm still
using an Athlon box as my main PC.

My next step is to try out some virtualisation software. You guys have talked
about VirtualBox, but what about Xen which is provided with SUSE?

When I've figured out what I want to go with, then I'll transfer operations to
the new machine.

> I also might have a couple more members interested as i posted a linux
> group on my face book and two people from the area signed up so im going to
> see if they will attend the meetings.

That's good

Ken