[Lancaster] idea for regular computer evening at the Basement

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Wed Oct 22 17:48:43 UTC 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008 23:13:26 Ken Hough wrote:
> My next step is to try out some virtualisation software. You guys have
> talked about VirtualBox, but what about Xen which is provided with SUSE?

That depends :-)

Fedora can act as a Xen Dom0 (the host OS) and has a script to enable the easy
setting up of Fedora DomU (clients) instances.

The version of Xen supported by Xensource (now part of Citrix), is really just
a minimalistic Dom0, with some quite fancy (though I believe Windows only)
software for remote management. It also has some limitations imposed unless
you pay. That has scripts for setting up Debian and Redhat Enterprise (I
believe CentOS as well).

If Suse supports Xen, then they probably have scripts for setting up Suse
DomUs.

To be honest, I not sure I'd bother with Xen on a desktop, it's more of a
server virtualisation thing.

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (martyn at welchs.me.uk)