[Lancaster] Multi-card reader

mp mp at aktivix.org
Tue Oct 28 15:38:17 UTC 2008

andy baxter wrote:
> Ken Walton wrote:
>> <decloaking>
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've just bought a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 8-in-1 Media Reader and
>> Writer (model no. F5U248). I (possibly naively) assumed it would just
>> work in Linux -- after all, all it has to do is channel the info to
>> and from a memory card (CF, SD, etc) -- but it seems that it needs a
>> driver. It comes with Windows & Mac drivers of course, but not Linux,
>> and I can't find any drivers on the internet. Anyone know if it's
>> possible to get this device working in Linux, or if not, whether
>> there's a similar device that does the same job and *is* Linux
>> compatible?
>>
> It should work as usb mass storage, same as a usb memory stick. I have a
> 'hama usb2.0 card reader 1.000 & 1' which works this way and works fine
> under linux.

from: http://3cx.org/item/25/catid/11

I recently purchased the Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 8-in-1 Media Reader
(F5U248) so I could more easily access the different memory media
formats that pass through my hands. For your pleasure, a quick and dirty
review.

This is a great little product that works flawlessly under linux. It is
seen as a usb-storage device (SCSI over USB) which makes this media
reader pretty standard fair. There is, however, one catch. Your kernel
must support multiple LUNs on a single SCSI device (kernel config param
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y).

My daily home system runs Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow) with all the latest
patches. The current kernel for Core 1 as I write this is
2.4.22-1.2188.nptl. This kernel does not support multi-LUN SCSI devices,
so I only had access to the first LUN, which is the CompactFlash slot. I
had to recompile the kernel from the Fedora 2188 patched source (easier
said than done) before I could access all the slots (LUNs).

Starting from the upper left slot going clockwise, the LUNs line up like
this:

1st LUN - CompactFlash
2nd LUN - MemoryStick
3rd LUN - SmartMedia
4th LUN - Secure Digital/MultiMediaCard (SD/MMC).

In my system, which has no SCSI hard disks, the slots line up with the
sd devices in the same clockwise fashion. CF = /dev/sda, MemStick =
/dev/sdb, SmartMedia = /dev/sdc, and SD/MMC = /dev/sdd. All media I've
put in so far has shown up as the first partition. My SD/MMCs mount from
/dev/sdd1 and my Smart Media mounts from /dev/sdc1.

All in all the thing works great. The multi-LUN SCSI support threw me at
first though. I hope now that I've written this your go at it will be
easier.