[Lancaster] To Python, or not to Python?

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Wed Apr 8 21:29:23 UTC 2009

Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> But is there a good reason for learning Python?  And would anybody like
> to try to convince me of its merits over Perl?

I've done a little bit of perl in the past (but I'd be hard pushed to
remember any of it) and more recently I have done a little python,
though I mainly code in C.

I have found the syntax for python refreshing (use of indentation to
determine code structure). I can't honestly think of any really good
reason to use python over any other scripting language. I used it
initially to give it a go, because it was cross platform with bindings
to GTK (for which a package was also available on that other OS) and a
slightly cleaner syntax than I remember perl having. It also seems to
compile to a byte code before running, it seems to keep the compiled
version around and will reuse it if it determines the original hasn't
changed (yielding possible speed improvements?).

I'd suggest giving it a go, it's the only way you'll really be able to
decide how you feel about it.

Martyn