[Lancaster] To Python, or not to Python?

Richard Robinson llug_6a at beulah.qualmograph.org.uk
Wed Apr 8 22:00:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:29:16PM +0100, Martyn Welch wrote:
> Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> > But is there a good reason for learning Python?  And would anybody like
> > to try to convince me of its merits over Perl?
>
> I've done a little bit of perl in the past (but I'd be hard pushed to
> remember any of it) and more recently I have done a little python,
> though I mainly code in C.
>
> I have found the syntax for python refreshing (use of indentation to
> determine code structure).

Am I right that that enforces conformity of formatting, so that your code
would be laid out just the same as other peoples', and vice versa ? I can
see how that would be an advantage.

But, being familiar with perl already, hasn't seemed a convincing enough
reason to commit myself to learning an alternative. So I haven't looked at
it and can't say whether there are any (this may be circular reasoning, but
projects take enough time already, without stopping to learn more langauges
along the way).

--
Richard Robinson