[Lancaster] Linux Mint Menu Problem

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Sat Aug 8 17:42:48 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Don't know if any of you know anything about the Linux Mint menu, but
mine's severely messed up at the moment. I installed Wine yesterday
(in Linux Mint Gloria, the latest version) and after the install, the
menu was so tall it went off the top of the screen; on the left hand
side, the quit button is just visible at the top of the screen (it
should be at the bottom) and on the right hand side, where the program
icons should be, it says:

__mergeFile(os.path.join(value, item), child, parent)

  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xdg/Menu.py", line 791, in __mergeFile
    __parse(child,filename,parent)

  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xdg/Menu.py", line 537, in __parse
    __parseMenu(child, filename, parent)

  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xdg/Menu.py", line 691, in __parseMenu
    __parse(child, filename, m)

  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xdg/Menu.py", line 571, in __parse
    parent.Rules.append(Rule(child.tagName, child))

  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xdg/Menu.py", line 284, in __init__
    self.compile()

  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/xdg/Menu.py", line 303, in compile
    """ % self.Rule) in self.__dict__

  File "<string>", line 6

    elif :

         ^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I've tried completely uninstalling mintmenu (including config files),
rebooting and reinstalling, but it's exactly the same. I can install
the standard Gnome menu instead, but I like the Mint menu better.

I asked on the Linux Mint forum yesterday, but responses have been
conspicuous by their absence. Anyone here any ideas?

--
Ken Walton