[Lancaster] web server up

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 11:43:02 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I finally got my web server up and running the way I want it this
morning. It's in a virtual server on the mini-itx box, with a firewall
running on the host machine to route packets and protect my local
network. Really pleased I've managed to get all this up and running :D

It's at:

http://base.tikvanet.org:8000/

The only thing that's on there at the moment is a demo of the new
version of the virtual tour software I wrote. It would be good to get
some feedback on the interface and usability, as that's what I was
trying to work on in the new version. Also it could do with checking in
different browsers - so far i have looked at it in Firefox (OK), Chrome
for linux (OK), and konqueror (slight bug), but the more browsers and
platforms the better. If anyone has the time to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Also, is anyone interested in an informal demo of how the virtual server
and firewall are set up? I don't want to spend hours preparing, but
could give a bit of a talk about how it works and how the different
parts of the system work together, then go into more detail of
configuration for anyone who's interested.

Cheers,

andy