[Lancaster] meeting plans

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 16:55:31 UTC 2009

Thats great joost cheers for the memeber profile im trying to make the
member list as populated as possible!
we have around 25 - 30 email addresses on the mailing list and 5 member
profiles now!! so progress!!

The arch install could be your baby if you like its something to get your
teeth into! i did one the other week in a virtualbox and like arch a lot
the package manager is very slick and it doesnt seem to take long to get a
box up and running.

We can get that lined up for the first meeting if you like ive used it a
bit has anyone else got any input on the arch install and setup ...

As for using linux in the work place Ive used it for quite some time now
for that and can cover which desktops do what and packages / ive done some
groupware setups aswell so can offer some pretty good advice about slipping
into a network or starting one from scratch in the business - which is
another great discussion which cold take up a night!..

The home network is another night to discuss which I an help out in and
this also is the basis for a headless server setup so thats another
night...

and a media server - we have done some on media but im planning on getting
that put back in because it was a good interesting demo.. but adding
mt-dapd servers and so on could be another night..

so we have so far in the tree got:

Distro installs
Server / home server
Linux in the workplace
Linux media server / audio

which we can break up further into categories
some great input here joost thanks ;)

Regards
wayne

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:35:35 +0000, Joost Noppen
<j.noppen at comp.lancs.ac.uk>
wrote:
> [...]
> (specific distributions such as mythbuntu vs taking a standard
distribution
> with specific packages).
>
> Finally, I have been thinking about setting up a home-server for quite a
> while for file sharing, testing websites, svn, etc. This again has the
> hardware and the software side as well as network specific issues such as
> configuration, security, network topology, etc.
>
> Doesn't have to be covered in one week though :). See you on Wednesday.
>
> Cheers,
> Joost
>

> p.s. Wayne, I have included my profile info below
>
> Name: Joost Noppen

> Member since: 2009
>
> Skills: linux administration and usage, programming & development
>
> Job: Senior research associate at Lancaster University (Computing
> department)
>
> Hobbies: poolbilliard, poker, reading, travelling, computer tinkering
>

> Wayne Ward wrote:
>> Hi guys just made a few changes on the lug website :)
>>
>> http://www.lancasterlug.org.uk/
>>
>> anyone else want to add profile information for themselves?..
>>
>> Now im just looking at scheduling up the meetings for the new year and
>> thought it might be a idea
>> to do some installs on various distros either on a spare laptop or in a
>> virtual machine
>> with some distros we might get two installs  night or if everyone things
>> its better we can stick to one a monthThen i was thinking of starting
>> with
>> some standard desktop installations so everybody can get a look at other
>> versions of linux available and some of the great features offered by
>> other
>> distros. Then after a few desktop installs maybe look at some headless
>> server installs with various services http / ftp etc..
>> Now we have some distros to pick out here some i have in mind are
>>
>> gentoo
>> arch
>> debian
>> suse
>> ubuntu or mint?
>> fedora
>> slackware
>>
>> obviously gentoo will take a full night and im not sure about slackware
>> as
>> i must admit I havent done a install which i should probably take a look
>> at! does anyone have any other distros they would like to see installed
>> or
>> maybe demo?..
>> I think we should look at putting the gentoo install at the end when we
>> have had plenty of time to look at the other installs as its a bit more
>> advanced.
>>
>> Once we have a half decent schedule for that ill put these on the
website
>> also we can then plan some other projects - server installs and any
other
>> items we can demo to make the meetings more then just a monthly chat!!
If

--
Regards,
Wayne ward

07957448652
Lancaster Computers

www.lancastercomputers.co.uk
wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk

Computers - Laptops - Servers - Web Services