[Lancaster] meeting plans

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 17:10:18 UTC 2009

sounds like a plan the base is pretty straight forward and probably the
hardest part of the gentoo setup
its usually the spanners that put people off the install when they reboot
and it fails to see the hardisk or partitions etc but its usually something
quite simple - so we can look at adding a base install of gentoo to the
list - which is great for learning about setting up linux.

I set one up the other night in a virtualbox the older version went on no
problem but the new version make sure you give the box a tad more memory or
you might find you wont even get the live ISO booted!!! apart from that it
builds no problem!! - we could get the base system and the kernel etc down
or of the new dvd version so we could get it built in a night plus we have
wireless bit that could be tricky! so give that a miss ;)

Gareth wanted to do a gentoo install so you could run that one of together
if you like ill get all this tabbed out and work out when its going to be
good for you to look at....

it would be a great install though and im sure there is plenty of interest
as we have had plenty of chat about it!!

wayne :)

 On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:48:11 +0000, jonath <j at jonath.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> supported by your kernel. Oh, and sometimes GRUB just doesn't work,
> Simple as that. In which case you have to go with LILO. Stuff like
> that.
>
> I'd love to help out with a Gentoo install if you wanted, but I don't
> currently have a spare PC, and the only way to make this viable is to
> do a practice install on a PC and make sure it all goes smoothly,
> before then doing it all from scratch on the night itself. That way
> you should get an idea of how long it'll take. I guess I could do a
> virtual installation using VirtualBox but I'm not sure whether
> VirtualBox behaves different on different host PCs (?!).
>
> I think I've encountered most things that can go wrong during a Gentoo
> install, so could always help out just to offer advice if needed.
>
> regards,
>
> jonathan
>
> 2009/12/7 Wayne Ward <wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk>:
>> Hi guys just made a few changes on the lug website :)
>>
>> http://www.lancasterlug.org.uk/
>>
>> anyone else want to add profile information for themselves?..
>>
>> Now im just looking at scheduling up the meetings for the new year and
>> thought it might be a idea
>> to do some installs on various distros either on a spare laptop or in a
>> virtual machine
>> with some distros we might get two installs  night or if everyone
things
>> its better we can stick to one a monthThen i was thinking of starting
>> with
>> some standard desktop installations so everybody can get a look at other
>> versions of linux available and some of the great features offered by
>> other
>> distros. Then after a few desktop installs maybe look at some headless
>> server installs with various services http / ftp etc..
>> Now we have some distros to pick out here some i have in mind are
>>
>> gentoo
>> arch
>> debian
>> suse
>> ubuntu or mint?
>> fedora
>> slackware
>>
>> obviously gentoo will take a full night and im not sure about slackware
>> as
>> i must admit I havent done a install which i should probably take a look
>> at! does anyone have any other distros they would like to see installed
>> or
>> maybe demo?..
>> I think we should look at putting the gentoo install at the end when we
>> have had plenty of time to look at the other installs as its a bit more
>> advanced.
>>
>> Once we have a half decent schedule for that ill put these on the
website
>> also we can then plan some other projects - server installs and any
other
>> items we can demo to make the meetings more then just a monthly chat!!
If