[Lancaster] Next years outline

Gareth Lees gareth at lancasterlug.org.uk
Fri Dec 11 22:09:43 UTC 2009

On 11 Dec 2009, at 21:43, andy baxter wrote:

> Wayne Ward wrote:
>> Im just thinking about the new to linux users currently in the group i
>> dont thinks its fair to bang some of the newbies with the likes of
>> headless and kolab server installs!! they wont have a clue!! ha :)
>> If you look the first one i was going to line up was a ubuntu install
>> - that takes half hour - half hour or so run over then we can do the
>> drum demo? or just move the ubunto to the month after and just do the
>> drum demo in feb ? its easy to move it all along!! :)
>>
> I could just bring the drum to the January meeting and show people then.
> I should be able to do it in the brit as long as I can put it on a table.

I've had a quick glance at the website and there is a lot of potential for this
drum thing, but if you want to make some of the improvements you mention
on the page first then it could be a more awesome demo. It also means that
we should hopefully have more room later.

Wayne?

>> If we do a structure and somebody has the urge to put a extra demo on
>> then why dont we just have that one on a extra night like we did with
>> your audio demo?
>> that would make it even more interesting!!!!
>>

> That would be OK.
>
> I was just thinking another demo / talk I could do at some point is to
> go through how the internet works, by looking at what happens in detail
> when you look at a web site. I.e. use wireshark and start at the packet
> level and then build up to protocols and services.  ARP, TCP/IP, DNS,
> HTTP etc. I think it's useful for people to have this kind of background
> knowledge.

I like the idea of going into the protocols but if I may suggest that this were to
happen later on in the year or as short demos in each meeting to break the
main 'feature' demo up a bit.