[Lancaster] Next years outline

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri Dec 11 21:45:11 UTC 2009

Wayne Ward wrote:
> Im just thinking about the new to linux users currently in the group i
> dont thinks its fair to bang some of the newbies with the likes of
> headless and kolab server installs!! they wont have a clue!! ha :)
> If you look the first one i was going to line up was a ubuntu install
> - that takes half hour - half hour or so run over then we can do the
> drum demo? or just move the ubunto to the month after and just do the
> drum demo in feb ? its easy to move it all along!! :)

I could just bring the drum to the January meeting and show people then.
I should be able to do it in the brit as long as I can put it on a table.
> If we do a structure and somebody has the urge to put a extra demo on
> then why dont we just have that one on a extra night like we did with
> your audio demo?
> that would make it even more interesting!!!!

That would be OK.

I was just thinking another demo / talk I could do at some point is to
go through how the internet works, by looking at what happens in detail
when you look at a web site. I.e. use wireshark and start at the packet
level and then build up to protocols and services.  ARP, TCP/IP, DNS,
HTTP etc. I think it's useful for people to have this kind of background
knowledge.

andy

> now that was a mighty fine vindaloo what did you have....

Pork curry with noodles and spring rolls from Fired Wok.

andy :)