[Lancaster] logo

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Wed Dec 16 10:10:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:30:22 +0000, Wayne Ward <wayne at lancasterlug.org.uk>
wrote:
> can i take a look at the logo martyn it might be ok or we might be
> able to modify it?

No prob - I've kept all the constituent parts. I'll dig it out.

> and how many tshirts are left and how much do you need to cover the
> costs of them?

Cafepress make to order. I also reduced my "profit" on them to zero, so
the cost is the minimum Cafepress will sell them for.

> ive been talking to stallman and asked him if he knew about the logo
> layouts he said this:
>
> "Every penguin should be accompanied by a gnu.  As experts all know, a
> penguin can hardly function without a gnu ;-)."

The problem is following this argument, the logo will end up looking like
a zoo. If you were to look at the code that goes into the average "Linux"
install, there is also a large component of BSD licensed software as well,
so include the BSD demon. Then there are the OpenBSD derived projects, so
chuck in a puffer fish as well...

I've got a sticker somewhere, I believe the FSF made it. It has them all
on it and it's not at all catchy or recognisable.

Logos and public names have little to do about attribution and more to do
about public familiarity and awareness. "Linux" and Tux have achieved some
public familiarity, "GNU" and their mascot haven't, mentioning "GNU/Linux"
is more likely to confuse the average computer user (and the explanation
baffle them).

Martyn