[Lancaster] THANK-YOU

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Fri Feb 6 17:48:58 UTC 2009

andy baxter wrote:
> Hi Rik,
>
> Glad you enjoyed the meeting. If you want to learn the command line, it
> might be worth looking at:
> http://linux.tnc.edu.tw/techdoc/linux-books/rute/
> This is a very comprehensive and thorough guide to linux system admin,
> starting from the ground up and working through slowly to more advanced
> topics.
>
> andy

Wow! That looks from a cursory glance like quite a good reference to
keep a link to. A little on the dated side in places (the printing
chapter for example doesn't even mention cups; Debian package management
completely ignores "aptitude" and there is more talk about modems than
networking) but it seems to cover the classic command line stuff quite well.

I'd suggest doing a bit of googling should you decide to resolve issue X
in distribution Y first to find some suggestions of how it can be done
in a modern distro (for example, adding a user is probably best done
through the distro provided GUI to ensure the user is added to the basic
set of groups that they will probably need to be a member of for things
like accessing USB pen-drives or serial ports). That said, even
descriptions for how to resolve issue X in distribution (Y-1) can
provide quite a bit of miss-information.

Martyn