[Lancaster] THANK-YOU

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 6 15:39:49 UTC 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009 11:37:11 andy baxter wrote:
> Hi Rik,
>
> Glad you enjoyed the meeting. If you want to learn the command line, it
> might be worth looking at:
> http://linux.tnc.edu.tw/techdoc/linux-books/rute/
> This is a very comprehensive and thorough guide to linux system admin,
> starting from the ground up and working through slowly to more advanced
> topics.
>
> andy

Rik,

There are many things that can be easier to do via the command line than via a
GUI. With a handful of short commands, it's possible to work wonders.

Don't let it frighten you. Begin with small tasks and before long, you will
begin to realise just how powerful the Linux command line can be!

You might be interested in "The Linux Cookbook 2nd edition" by Michael Stutz.
This describes a lot of useful command line stuff (and other stuff). I often
refer to it and did so about 20 minutes ago! See:
<http://www.computershopper.co.uk/reviews/68403/the-linux-cookbook-second-edition.html>

Ken hough