[Lancaster] Alternate Meeting Days, Skill Sessions, and Facebook

David Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:11:15 UTC 2009

All,

Lots of E-Mails today! Sorry to derail the conversation by melding three
or four topics together, but some thoughts:

* Facebook *
I can understand the concerns with this but, on the flipside, I don't
see any negatives to creating a group on there. The trick is to not use
it as a primary source of communication, as it does run the risk of
isolating those who, for solid reasons, don't want to have a Facebook
account. However, it could be a useful way of attracting people to the
meetings, and points to the website.
I would hasten to add that I still believe the best way for us to share
information online is either this mailing list or, hopefully, the new
website when it's shifted.

* Alternate Meeting Days *
Joseph, I believe I'm right in saying we've toyed with alternating the
meeting days before but never got further than that. I'm happy to switch
days every so often if it helps or, failing that, hopefully the skill
sessions Andy has mentioned will help provide alternatives. I'm sure
everyone's open to suggestions on that front.
As regards a coding session, I for one would definitely be interested in
that - as it's an area I have severely limited knowledge in, and would
love to find out more!

* Skill Sessions *
Andy, that sounds like a great idea. I'd be more than happy to help with
anything I can, and would be happy to help split the cost
connection-wise if we went that route. As mentioned before, I'm not
really very clued up on places to use in Lancaster, but I'm happy to
help with anything I can! Certainly I've got some old machines knocking
about that I'd donate a project.

And there's my two pence!

Wayne: E-Mail on its way regarding the website.

Best,

Dave