[Lancaster] moonlight and channel4

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Tue Feb 10 11:12:31 UTC 2009

2009/2/10 andy baxter <andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk>

> I have just checked out 4od and moonlight. Moonlight itself isn't that
> hard to install - you just go to this page:
> http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/
> and click the link under 'download the plugin', then follow the wizard
> that comes up in firefox.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't play either 4od, or any of the demo apps on
> the MS silverlight page. They just ask you to install the Silverlight
> plugin. Not sure what's happening, but it could be either a fault in the
> moonlight plugin, or else possibly might just be because the sites are
> expecting IE not firefox. If I get round to it, I'll maybe look into
> this a bit more.

When the US government announced that Obama's inauguration was going to be
streaming from the White House site, lots of non-Windows users complained,
and Microsoft gave the people in charge of the stream some extra info so
they could get it working with Moonlight too. But when you logged onto the
site, you couldn't watch the normal Silverlight stream with Moonlight, you
had to click on a separate link to watch with Moonlight.

Does Moonlight have DRM capabilities? Because there will certainly be DRM
attached to any files downloaded from Channel 4.

--
Ken Walton