[Lancaster] pet slug

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Sat Feb 14 23:42:38 UTC 2009

andy baxter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last week I bought a 'slug' (linksys NSLU2 ethernet appliance) on eBay.
> It's just arrived in the post today. It's a tiny thing, about the size
> of my hand, with 2 usb2 ports and an ethernet port on the back, and a
> 233 MHz ARM processor inside. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2 .
>
> It's meant for plugging usb hard drives into - you can plug in 2 drives
> and they come up as windows network shares. I've tested it like this,
> and it seems pretty good - fast enough to stream video over the network.
> But the important point is its based on linux, and is reflashable, so
> you can put pretty much anything you like on it. I'm looking forward to
> putting debian on it and setting it up as a home web server and whatever
> else I can think of. Being silent and low power, I'm happy leaving it
> switched on all the time in my flat, which I wasn't with the old, rather
> noisy, machine I had before.

Hi Andy,

I'd suggest giving Debian a miss, instead take a look at OpenEmbedded.
It's a system for cross-compiling minimal Linux images. At an educated
guess, the slug has a minimal amount of Flash for the root file system
and minimal RAM. I'm not sure you will have a lot of luck with Debian,
though I understand that there is an Embedded Debian project.

Martyn