[Lancaster] pet slug

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sun Feb 15 07:44:16 UTC 2009

Martyn Welch wrote:
> andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last week I bought a 'slug' (linksys NSLU2 ethernet appliance) on eBay.
>> It's just arrived in the post today. It's a tiny thing, about the size
>> of my hand, with 2 usb2 ports and an ethernet port on the back, and a
>> 233 MHz ARM processor inside. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2 .
>>
>> It's meant for plugging usb hard drives into - you can plug in 2 drives
>> and they come up as windows network shares. I've tested it like this,
>> and it seems pretty good - fast enough to stream video over the network.
>> But the important point is its based on linux, and is reflashable, so
>> you can put pretty much anything you like on it. I'm looking forward to
>> putting debian on it and setting it up as a home web server and whatever
>> else I can think of. Being silent and low power, I'm happy leaving it
>> switched on all the time in my flat, which I wasn't with the old, rather
>> noisy, machine I had before.
>>

> Hi Andy,
>
> I'd suggest giving Debian a miss, instead take a look at OpenEmbedded.
> It's a system for cross-compiling minimal Linux images. At an educated
> guess, the slug has a minimal amount of Flash for the root file system
> and minimal RAM. I'm not sure you will have a lot of luck with Debian,
> though I understand that there is an Embedded Debian project.

OK, thanks - I'll have a look at it. The Slug Wiki does mention debian
as something people have managed to install though. I think that when
you do this, most of the system goes on the hard disk, with only a
minimal boot system on the internal flash drive. The Slug has 32Mb RAM,
which isn't so bad - the same as the old server I had running up till
about a year ago as a web server in my flat.

andy