[Lancaster] Network puzzle

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Sun Jan 25 12:42:15 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I have a network puzzle for you. Not knowing much about networks, I've no
idea what's causing this, but it strikes me as rather odd.

My landlady has a wifi router for our house. It's connected by network cable
to her Windows machine, and by wifi (whenever people are in and using their
computers) to three Linux machines and another Windows machine.

Every now and then, the internet will become unreachable. The wifi signal
strength is strong, but there's no way of connecting to the internet.
Normally, if you log into http://10.0.0.2 you get asked a password and can
then get to the router settings screen. When this problem occurs, Firefox
says it's got to that screen, but its actually blank and the password query
box doesn't come up. But if I ping 10.0.0.2 it shows as present.

Switching the router off and on again solves the problem, but it's annoying
to have to do so, and the problem occurs more than it used to.

Yesterday, the problem occurred again. But it happened while I was running
the Transmission bittorrent  client -- and that continued to download and
upload perfectly even though I couldn't connect to the internet, or the
10.0.0.2 setup screen.

Any bright ideas gratefully accepted!

--
Ken Walton