[Lancaster] Network puzzle

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Tue Jan 27 13:06:44 UTC 2009

2009/1/25 Joseph Le Brech <jlebrech at hotmail.com>

>  Is this happening when you have the Linux PCs running?
> if so its a Windows bug with the TCP Scaling Option.
> It means that Linux has successful allocation slots to share bandwidth with
> the router, and windows is trying to barge in and it's being rejected.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_window_scale_option
> that's my take on that anyway. Vista has recently fixed that bug from older
> versions of windows.

Hmm, that does sound like a distinct possibility. I'm seeing it from the
point of view of my Linux PC losing its connection. And thinking about it,
it seems to happen more at the weekend, when the Windows user on the network
is at home more. My one reservation is that the Wikipedia entry implies
that  the computer that's been knocked off the network will reconnect after
a few minutes, whereas in this case, the computers that have been knocked
off can never reconnect until the router's been switched off and on again.
--
Ken Walton