[Lancaster] Linux with dialup?

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Tue Jan 27 14:33:18 UTC 2009

hi folks,

A friend of mine wants to switch his (elderly) laptop and desktop PCs to
linux, but only has dial-up internet access. Puppy Linux works fine on his
laptop, detected his modem and connected to the internet perfectly well, but
his PCs are both capable of running something better. I installed Linux Mint
(built on Ubuntu) on the laptop, thinking that it would save him the problem
of having to download and install codecs -- only to find that there are no
drivers for his built-in modem. The drivers would have to be compiled, which
would mean we'd also have to install the software needed for that sort of
thing, which of course we couldn't do until we had an internet connection...
I don't know enough about the inner workings of Linux to do this, and
frankly, think life is too short to want to spend a lot of time learning
how. I'd rather find a decent version of Linux which would run on a machine
with 512Mb RAM, with modem support out of the box. We'd both rather he ended
up with one of the major distros (or at least something closely based on
one) so that he's better able to get help if he needs it. Anyone know a good
solid Linux distro that still supports dial-up networking from the moment of
installation?

--
Ken Walton