[Lancaster] Help! Netbook keeps rebooting!

jonath j at jonath.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 15:12:19 UTC 2009

Well, of course, it's hard to say what's wrong without having the
netbook in front of me but my gut feeling is this sounds like a
hardware issue. This is exactly the kind of thing (more or less) my
laptop does when it gets too hot. Plus, given that you've already had
to send this machine back, perhaps you still have a duff machine on
your hands. Does the reboot happen after any particular activity (e.g.
during CD access, after running a certain application, after the
cooling fan kicks in) or is it entirely random?

But regardless of all that conjecture, it should be fairly
straightforward to rule out the operating system if you get hold of
one of those live/evaluation CDs. I've used Knoppix before; they seem
okay:

http://www.knoppix.net/

regards,

jonathan