[Lancaster] Help! Netbook keeps rebooting!

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Wed Jul 29 16:57:08 UTC 2009

It's definitely not overheating. I've been keeping an eye on the
temperature, and it's much lower than it was a few weeks ago when we had the
really hot weather, and it was working fine then. It seemed to crash when I
swapped programs with Alt-Tab or when I clicked on something, and yesterday
evening happily played music for hours without crashing when I wasn't
interacting with it.

I've been running it all afternoon using Vesa, and its not crashed once, so
I'm going to try reinstalling the x-server and video driver and see if that
works...

It seems like either Andy was right, or taking it to Andy's house shook a
loose bit back into place. I prefer to think the former!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

2009/7/29 jonath <j at jonath.co.uk>

> Well, of course, it's hard to say what's wrong without having the
> netbook in front of me but my gut feeling is this sounds like a
> hardware issue. This is exactly the kind of thing (more or less) my
> laptop does when it gets too hot. Plus, given that you've already had
> to send this machine back, perhaps you still have a duff machine on
> your hands. Does the reboot happen after any particular activity (e.g.
> during CD access, after running a certain application, after the
> cooling fan kicks in) or is it entirely random?
>
> But regardless of all that conjecture, it should be fairly
> straightforward to rule out the operating system if you get hold of
> one of those live/evaluation CDs. I've used Knoppix before; they seem
> okay:
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/
>
> regards,
>
> jonathan
>
> 2009/7/29 Ken Walton <ken.walton at carandol.net>:
> > It came with Ubuntu Netbook Remix pre-installed, and I've been happy with
> > that so far, especially as it has the correct kernel for the Atom chip
> and a
> > Toshiba repository for the right hardware drivers. Besides, I'm
> copy-editing
> > on a deadline, so taking an afternoon off to install a new OS would be
> > counterproductive! :-)
> > So far, it hasn't crashed since I changed to the Vesa driver, but it's
> early
> > hours yet...
> > 2009/7/29 Wayne Ward <wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk>
> >>
> >> I know this might sound silly but have you tried another distro just to
> >> see if it does it with that
> >> have you had suse on it before??..
> >>
> >> regards
> >> wayne