[Lancaster] Routers and printers

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Sat May 9 15:53:17 UTC 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009 11:11:51 Rik Boland wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got a router free when I got my broadband but shops sell routers.
>
> Why and what the difference - r they better?
>
> Also is there a way to make my wired printer wireless?
>
> Shalom

If it's free, then it's unlikely to be the best.  ;-)

Seriously though, depending on your situation, 'shop' bought routers might
give you some advantages. You will need to check out your specific bits of
gear and situation.

My broadband connection is provided by BT. Despite me explaining that I
already had a router, they insisted on sending me one of their's. I don't use
it!

This old BT router (now described as "The original home hub") provides wi-fi,
only 2 ethernet ports, and 2 USB ports (which don't appear to do anything).
It is quite large 230mm high X 200mm wide X 40mm deep, and has a hatch on the
front to attach a "BT Home Hub"  (extra cost of course). This router takes
AGES to boot up. Judging from the adverts on TV, their newest router,
the "Home Hub v2.0" is even bigger! Far too big for my liking, and IMHO it's
pig ugly!!

One advantage of the old BT router is that the incoming telephone/ADSL line
goes straight into the back of this router, and there is a socket to connect
with your normal phone system. I'm not sure about the new one.

My router is a Netgear DG834GT, which provides me with reliable wi-fi and 4
ethernet ports. This device is approx 25mm high X 175mm wide and 120mm deep,
and it boots in approx 15 seconds. Much neater than the BT router and very
reliable!

I use ethernet for most of my connections and wi-fi only for when I want to
be 'portable' with my laptop. On wi-fi, I can get 802.11g speed, but this
router is capable of (non-standard) operation at twice this speed.

My router does not include a connection for 'normal' telephones. I have a
separate master junction box which separates ADSL signals from telephone
signals and then feeds the two channels to separate ADSL and phone sockets on
the front panel. The phone circuitry for my house is taken from a terminal
block inside this juncton box, but after the filter.

Beware, that if you have long and possibly multiple phone lines connected
directly to your incoming phone line, this can adversely affect ADSL, even if
filters are fitted to each outlet. Much better to bring the incoming line to
a single master fliter (like the one described above) and then on to your
possibly multiple internal phone lines. I know from personal experience that
this can make a very big difference to your ADSL noise margin.

With regard to your wired printer: I assume that this is a USB printer. If so
you might look at the Belkin USB hub. See:
<http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/11/belkin-announces-4-port-wireless-usb-hub/>

I note that the latest BT Home Hub includes a USB master socket. Perhaps this
can be used to connect to printers, etc. I don't know, so you will need to
check up on this and other routers with USB.

Hope that this helps