[Lancaster] Virtual box fedora install

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 15 16:16:16 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 20:39:50 Wayne Ward wrote:
> Just tested a fedora install on a virtual box - it never saw the drive
> saw changed the chipset type from PIIX4 to PIIX3 and its working
> must admit its very much the same as ubuntu from the outside

Appearances Gnome and KDE aren't going to differ too much between distros.

> going to
> look at administration tools on the system and then have a look at
> dare i say it RPM ....

Come on! Be brave!  :-)

Seriously, RPM can be approached either via the basic 'rpm' tool, or via a
decent installation manager like (present day) Yast. In the former case,
dependencies are flagged up but not installed. In the later case, just like
under the Ububtu/Debian managers, all should be automatically attended to.

and for those who do not wish to use a GUI manager, Yast can run under a
terminal screen via ncurses.

Red Hat and SUSE are both well respected at the corporate level, so RPM can't
be too bad.  ;-)

> 6/10 for a install to many questions and giving a root password havent
> done that for a while!!.. the boot screen just put me off full style
> ive kept the iso incase anyone wants to see the install

I have Fedora 10, Debian 5, Ubuntu 9, and other distros and OSes installed
under Virtual Box. I'm now reasonably comfortable with using (playing with?)
all of these distros, but I have yet to see any good reason to move away from
my present base system of openSUSE 11.1.

To some extent it comes down to what one is used to. Let's face it,  all of
the main stream distros are pretty damn good these days.

I recommend that newbies DO NOT set about TRYING OUT various distros. They are
different and more or less guaranteed to confuse. Choose a distro according
to what you think is needed and at least to begin with, STICK WITH IT!

Wayne, I'm not suggesting that you are a newbie. Perhaps you might be ready
for RPM.   ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Regards