[Lancaster] Virtual box fedora install

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 17:05:47 UTC 2009

Hi ken i hope i am ready for rpm as i am rhce and rhct registered!!!
and been using red hat from day one!!!
commercially ive had clusters running and from a personal point of
view i preferred gentoo on the boxes!!
but when it comes to getting external support for the servers incase i
get hit by a bus they tend to ask for red hat servers
i know novell and ubuntu have support packages and are commercial all
the corporates i deal with and have dealt with in the past ten years
will only offer support on red hat.
When i have been doing the different installs id say out of the newbie
installs id go for ubuntu for a few simple reasons - the easiest
install - probably the most popular and easiest to get help on and its
probably got all the tools you need to configure it in the menus and
installs plugins and hardware drivers out of the box!!! plus it comes
on one cd!! one of the reasons i never tested suse is because ih has
three cd's or one dvd !! - i tested fedora because it was a one cd
distro but probably wouldnt waste another cd on it again!!

on another side when you move onto the next level gentoo is quality i
love it i just feels great - arch came in second - zen ? mmm dont know
about this one! and on another level netbsd was easy install - fast
install - but need to learn how to administer it - I think ill just be
sticking to gentoo!!!

the summary is ill be using ubuntu for friends customers and
recomondations to newbies - serves it a toss up between debian and
ubuntu im going to to test both next week and see whats gong to be
best for this i might even try red hat server!!!
for me for my own linux boxes im going to use gentoo - im just going
to build one thats going to run full time in a virtual box on my
server that link checks all my sites and emails me bad links on my
sites and also use it as a nagios that monitors all my web services
and servers - ill get this to text me when something drops off line!!!
- nice project ive set quite a few of these up

ps check me next email folks.... (after ive had a brew!)

wayne

Regards,
Wayne ward

07957448652
Lancaster Computers

www.lancastercomputers.co.uk
wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk

Computers - Laptops - Servers - Web Services