[Lancaster] Firewall problem

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 18 16:28:27 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me with a firewall problem.

I'm trying use my T42 Thinkpad to access an ftp server that is running on my
desktop PC. The T42 runs Windows XP (yes, I know, but I need it to run some
astro software). The desktop PC runs openSUSE v11.1.

I'm using vsftp which is clearly configured OK and can be accessed from the
T42, provided that I turn off the firewall on the Linux machine.

OpenSUSE includes a nifty utility for setting up the firewall, but doesn't
seem to be setting up correctly to allow for vsftp.

Can someone please tell me what ports must be left open for vsftp operation?

According to the firewall utility, for vsftp, port 20 should be open.
According to lists of recognised TCPIP ports, 21 should also be open, and
I've tried this but with no success.

What am I missing?

Regards