[Lancaster] Firewall problem

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 22 14:01:50 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 12:53:47 Mike Livsey wrote:
> Does your firewall have application level monitoring?

Not that I've discovered.

> It may be that you need to specifically allow the application to be
> accessed, as well as opening the relevant ports.

Actually I've solved the problem, sort of!

After many trials, I've discovered that at least two ports are being accessed
within the range 51000 to 65000.

On checking with <http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>, I see that
ports in the range 49152 to 65535 are defined as "DYNAMIC AND/OR PRIVATE
PORTS".

The vsftpd server is protected from the Internet by my Netgear DG834GT router,
and I get a clean bill of health from "Shields Up" at www.grc.com. ie a
report of "True Stealth Mode" for some of the open upper range ports.

Also, I will only enabled vsftpd when I wish to upload/download files to
another PC on my LAN.

So, until I can find more definative info, I will simply open the whole of
this upper port range.

Thanks all for support and comments.

Regards

Ken hough