[Lancaster] file server with backups - advice wanted

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 18:17:55 UTC 2010

Hi all,

The boss at the place I'm working has asked me to look into setting up a
linux based file server for them, with a proper backup schedule. There
are a bit over half a dozen employees at the moment, but this may
increase in the future.

I haven't done anything like this before, so if anyone can answer any of
the following questions, it would be a big help:
 - Most of the machines use windows, so I'll be using samba. How well
does this work in practice with a network of windows machines?
 - Any advice on what hardware specs would be good for a proper server
machine? In particular, is it necessary to use (hardware or software) RAID?
 - Does anyone know any (ideally local) companies that provide off site
backup services which will work with linux? We don't need anything that
complex - a linux file server with ssh / sftp would be enough I think.
 - What's a good backup tool to use? It should be able to deal with the
off site backup service we are using.

The data to be backed up will be a mixture of office documents (on the
samba server), and code (in a subversion repository).

thanks,

andy