[Lancaster] file server with backups - advice wanted

Joost Noppen joost.noppen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:11:10 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

Can't answer all of your questions, but at least some pointers on the backup clients. There are a number of options you might want to look at:

- back in time
- time vault
- simple backup

All these work client side, but you can automate their execution using cron. I myself use back in time which is akin to Apple's time machine, with a very usable graphical front-end. This is tied to a shell script that triggers a backup once a day to an external hard drive. In the end, these tools really all build on rsync to do their magic. You even get incremental backup with it.

I imagine you can run this as long as the backup server has access to the drives where the files are stored (read access should suffice). Otherwise you might want to look at peter's backup, a gzip based program for Windows. The people would have to trigger the backup themselves though.

Bit of text this,if you have questions just let me know.

Cheers,
Joost