[Lancaster] Problem recording sound

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 17:09:31 UTC 2010

Ken Hough wrote:
> I hope that one  (or more?) of you guys can help me with a problem that I'm
> having with my desktop Debian Lenny setup.
>
> I have no problems in playing wave files via the likes of 'audacity',
> streaming sound off the Internet (eg Classic FM) via Konqueror/Mplayer, and
> playing CDs/DVDs and digital Radio/TV via Kaffeine.
>
> However,  I cannot get audacity or anything else to pick up and record sound
> from any of these sound sources. I use KMix and have played with all of the
> available channels.
>
> My old Thinkpad T42 laptop running SUSE v11.1 has no trouble in doing this.
>
> What am I missing?

Have you looked at the switches as well as the channel volumes in
alsamixer or kmix? I know some sound cards have a switch for turning the
internal mic on and off, so this might be what is missing.

also, look at you /dev/snd . Mine looks like this:

andy at monkey:~$ ls /dev/snd
by-path  controlC0  hwC0D0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  pcmC0D1p  seq  timer

if there is an entry starting 'pcm' and ending 'c' (for capture), then
you should be able to record sound from that device.

andy