[Lancaster] Problem recording sound

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 26 20:07:23 UTC 2010

Hi Guys!

I thought that I'd report on latest progress wrt getting sound and recording
working on my desktop PC with the new motherboard (ASUS P5Q SE2).

The problem with this board is that the on board HD sound system (VIA
VT17805S) isn't supported under out of the box versions of SUSE or Debian.

To begin with, I managed to locate info and downloads which provided a very
easy solution under SUSE Linux v11.1. This involved installing a modified
(patched?) kernel and updates to the various alsa packages. The reference for
this can be found at:
<http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/laptop/421388-no-sound-asus-x5dij.html>

I have given this link before, but I include it here for the sake of
completeness.

This did work, but the updated kernel resulted in one or two things not
behaving quite as they should, but it is sort of OK.

Next, I got to wondering if I could get Debian Lenny to work with this sound
system. I had established that a driver for the VT17805S is included in
kernel version 2.6..31 and that alsa packages v1.0.21 are needed. As Lenny is
supplied with kernel v2.6.26-2 and alsa v1.0.12, this clearly wasn't going to
work. So, after ensuring that I had a couple of reliable/tested system
backups, I decided to try to update my Debian system.

First of all I downloaded the source code for the latest stable version of the
kernel (2.6.32.5) and set about building and installing a new kernel, making
sure that all of the drivers that I needed were included. I was pleasantly
surprised how well this went. The only problem that I had was that most of
the documentation concerning setting up an initrd file refered to
using 'mkinitrd'.

'mkinitrd' has been replaced by 'mkinitramfs'. No problem once I discovered
this, but it took me a while......   :-(

Then I had only to add a few lines of text to /boot/grub/menu.lst and I was in
business! Debian Lenny now runs under kernel 2.6.32.5 with no problems at
all.

At this stage, 'lsmod' showed that all of the necessary drivers were being
correctly loaded, but there was still no sound output.

Next, I had to attend to alsa, etc. I tried to install a recent update for
alsa-driver from a .deb package, but this complained that it conflicted with
an already installed earlier version of libasound2. Now came a problem! If I
tried to delete the existing libasound2 package via Synaptic, the system was
insisting on also removing a whole lot of other stuff that I wanted to keep.

I guess that there should be a way around this, but I couldn't figure it out.
I'm not a geek. So, I decided to go for compiling/installing from source
code. (alsa-lib 1.0.22, alsa-driver 1.0.22.1, alsa-utils 1.0.22). Refer:
<http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page>

All went well until I used ./configure for alsa-utils. I eventually discovered
a description of the problem and a fix at:
<http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/08/31/upgrade-alsa-1-0-21-on-ubuntu-jaunty-9-04/>

(I don't like Ubuntu much, but I'm not proud   ;-) )

A few soft links must be set. After doing this, alsa-utils compiled and
installed OK.

At this stage, I took a close look at my working SUSE system (it's on a second
hard drive) and compared the relevant files on the two systems. The only
significant difference was under /etc/modprobe.d. SUSE included a file
named 'sound' which contained the following lines:
"
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.1RpZgx7+PID:82801JI (ICH0 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
"

so I copied this file onto the Debian system. I don't know yet if this is
necessary, but after re-booting, the VIA sound system was
working !!!!!    :-)

Under KMix, some of the controls don't yet seem to function as expected, but I
am able to play sound from CDs and from my WIn TV Nova digital TV/radio card
and can record sound via Audacity.

Phew! Quite an adventure! But worthwhile!

So it looks like I will be staying with Debian after all.  :-)

Ken Hough