[Lancaster] Problem recording sound

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 20 14:41:37 UTC 2010

Hi Guys!

Further to my previous comments about problems with a duff on-board sound
card, I thought that others might find details of my progress useful.

To begin with, I've now got a brand new ASUS P5Q SE2 mobo. I simply swapped
this in place of the older ASUS P5K SE/EPU mobo. Not difficult as the various
on-board plugs, etc more or less matched, although some were in slightly
different positions. I plugged in the PCI parallel port card and my PCI
Hauppauge Win TV card.

After re-assembly, the PC booted into Debian Lenny OK and everything worked,
except of course the on-board sound system which provided only very limited
functionality. So to begin with I plugged in a spare PCI Sound Blaster Live!
card which worked OK. So far, so good!

I had a look around the Internet and discovered that the VIA VT1708S sound
system isn't yet supported out of the box in Linux distros. No big deal as
with an extra PCI slot, I could now use the old Sound Blaster card.

The Internet provided me with some information about installing a modified
kernel and updated alsa stuff under Debian, but so far I've not been able to
make sense of it all. I did see a note to the effect that VT1708S is
supported under kernel v2.26.30, but Debian is still a way back from this.
Also alsa must be updated to v1.1.22.

Having still got SUSE Linux v11.1 installed on a second hard drive, I thought
that I would see how this behaved with the new mobo. Again, no problems
except for the sound system. HOWEVER, I discovered some very useful info on
one of the SUSE forums.
See:<http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/laptop/421388-no-sound-asus-x5dij.html>

This provides clear, definitive, and simple instructions for downloading and
installing a modified kernel and updated alsa stuff all as rpm files, so no
compilation needed was needed. Just six command line instructions which could
be cut/pasted/executed. This worked very well indeed!

I now have a fully functioning HD sound system! My aged ears aren't what they
used to be and I'm using cheepo speakers, but output does seem to be a tad
sweeter than with the old Soundblaster card.

So now I have a problem. Over the last few months I have got to like Debian
Lenny, but as you guys might remember, I've used SUSE for a long time and 64
bit SUSE v11.1 works pretty well. Presently it's running my HD sound system
and everything else that I could run under Debian. For now, I do have a
problem with VirtualBox, because I haven't yet installed the source code for
the new kernel, but that should be easy to sort out.

I guess that SUSE is going to win.   ;-)

If anyone is looking for a new LGA775 mobo, I can recommend the ASUS P5Q SE2.
I'm using it with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor and 4 GB RAM (this
mobo can handle up to 16GB of RAM), and an Nvidia GForce 9500GT graphics
card.

Not the quickest of systems, but no slouch!  ;-)

Regards

Ken Hough