[Lancaster] OT : electrical installation

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 21 11:59:50 UTC 2011

Andy,

AFAIK, you can do the installation yourself, but this must then be checked out
by a qualified (certified?) electrician. Failure to have this check is likely to
leave you open to insurance problems.

I've often wondered just how meaningful any check by an electrician can be
unless he also pulls up floorboards, etc.

The electrics in my own house had been put in by supposedly qualified
electricians, but when I did look under the floor boards, I found that two
double sockets had been daisy chained off the ring main and the cable
terminals were very slack! Also, some of the wires had been stripped back so
far as to leave over 1" of exposed live wire outside the cable terminals.

So much for "qualified"!

Ken Hough
Kendal
Cumbria