[Lancaster] OT : electrical installation

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 12:48:15 UTC 2011

On 21/08/11 12:17, Simon Hobson wrote:

>>> Why not just buy a plug-in RCD (as used for lawn mowers)? They also
>>> seem to be cheaper.
>>>

>> This might do, but then there's always the temptation to unplug it
>> just to solve some temporary problem, and forget to plug it back in.
>> I think a socket would be better really.
>
> Absolutely right - it's the same as the way people treat a fuse
> blowing as being a faulty fuse, often "solved" by fitting a larger
> fuse so it doesn't blow. It would also be worth looking at the
> distribution board - if it's using MCBs (Miniature Circuit Breakers)
> then it may be possible to fit an RCBO (combined MCB and RDC) instead
> which would give protection to the whole circuit. Most modern boards
> have RCBOs available for them, it's mainly whether there's enough
> space as they are significantly larger.

This would be a good solution if it's possible - I'll look into it.

> Actually, there is no regulation that *requires* PATs per se. The
> various regs require that systems and procedures are in place to
> ensure reasonable safety. PATs are only one part of this and according
> to the course material from work, 90+% of faults are found by the
> visual inspection. Also, if the device isn't portable then things
> change again (that's the P in Portable Appliance Test).
>
> What it comes down to is, should something go wrong, can I stand up in
> court and honestly say "I made reasonable provision for safety" ?
>
> I'd suggest ...
> Make sure everything is earthed properly - and it's tested. Fit a
> backup over-temperature trip (manual reset) that will cut off the
> heater if the software/hardware fails. Take account of the use of
> water and the chances of it getting hosed down - consider fully sealed
> enclosure, though that's non trivial to maintain once you start making
> holes in it. The rest is mostly common sense.

Thanks. Obviously I'll take care to make sure things are as safe as
possible. I'll look into getting a thermal cutoff. I think I'll also
keep a log of all the safety checks I've done, just in case I ever need
to prove I've been careful.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

andy