[Lancaster] DVD ripping software

Dave Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 09:24:30 UTC 2011

Hi John,

Whilst I haven't got any actual experience with this to confirm if it should
work or not, my best bet would be look at Handrake - http://handbrake.fr/ -
which is a lovely little cross-platform transcoder that I've used to
transcode all my DVDs into Matroska file containers for playback via XBMC
frontends.

The reason I say I don't have any actual experience is from the Linux angle,
as I did all my ripping and transcoding under Windows (just as that's what
my most powerful machine runs), so I used a piece of software called AnyDVD
to do the decoding, and then Handbrake to do the Transcode. It's my
understanding that, under Linux (with libdvdcss2) the decoding should
already be done for you (as it's needed to play the DVDs) so you just just
be able to open the disc in Handbrake and go on from there.

Good chance I'm wrong though, in which case you may need an AnyDVD
equivalent. I've heard people talk of DVD:rip in the past, but I have no
experience of using it.

Around 5 years ago, I was using thoggen - http://thoggen.net/ - under Ubuntu
to rip in to Ogg Theora formats, but found the quality to be a bit lacking.
Handbrake (and Matroska as a container) is very nice, and allows me to get a
full DVD-quality film transcoded with subtitles, a couple of audio tracks,
and chapter markers in at under 2 Gb. If I'd wanted to shrink that further I
could do so by dropping the video quality but as space isn't an issue I
don't bother doing that.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Dave