[Lancaster] DVD ripping software

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 09:40:54 UTC 2011

Dave Smith wrote:

>Whilst I haven't got any actual experience with this to confirm if
>it should work or not, my best bet would be look at Handrake
>- <http://handbrake.fr/>http://handbrake.fr/ - which is a lovely
>little cross-platform transcoder that I've used to transcode all my
>DVDs into Matroska file containers for playback via XBMC frontends.

IIRC Handbrake has come up fairly regularly on the Myth TV users
list. On the other hand, AnyDVD is frequently recommended for it's
ability to handle stuff that others don't.

>It's my understanding that, under Linux (with libdvdcss2) the
>decoding should already be done for you (as it's needed to play the
>DVDs) so you just just be able to open the disc in Handbrake and go
>on from there.

Indeed. In theory all you need to do is copy the disk (either dd it
to an image file, or copy the video_ts folder). Watching the comments
on teh Myth list, it's clear that most commercial DVDs have something
'broken' so as to stop this. Hence the variety of tools to work
around this and "fix" the breakages.

The other thing to consider is ... do you want a video file of the
main feature, or a complete copy of the DVD with menus, extras, etc.

--
Simon Hobson