[Lancaster] geek web hosting

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 14:55:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good geek friendly web hosting company? I'm
thinking of moving from dayanahost.com who I've been using for some
time. The things that have prompted me to want to move are:

- The python support from dayanahost isn't that good (old python
version, plus no mod_python or mod_wsgi).
- I am thinking of setting up a service on my home server (running over
our home broadband), which needs SRV DNS records and also dynamic DNS
updating (no static IP). At the moment I'm using dyndns.org for my home
server's ADSL IP address, but I would rather have it set up on a
subdomain of my main domain. Dayana's DNS can do subdomains but not
dynamic updates or SRV records. Dyndns can do SRV records but only if I
pay for a separate domain, which I don't really want to do.

I'd also be looking for things like:

- recent versions of php, perl and python
- ssh/sftp access.
- good tech support.
- able to start with a small cheap package, then upgrade according to
the resources I use.

Any suggestions?

andy