[Lancaster] Geekup tonight?

Darren Poulson llug at 22balmoralroad.net
Tue Jan 17 11:12:02 UTC 2012

On 17.01.2012 10:36, andy baxter wrote:
> On 12/01/12 00:06, Darren Poulson wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Was good meeting you guys tonight, and look forward to the next
>> meeting. :)
>>
>> As I mentioned, I'm really interested in the idea of a maker/hacker
>> lab in lancaster, or at least getting a good community going of people
>> interested in this type of thing, which will include everything from
>> linux to textiles and everything in between! I definitely feel this is
>> the natural evolution of open source and linux, with a sharing of
>> tools and skills instead of source code.
>>
>> As a first attempt, I've set up www.lancasterlab.org.uk, along with
>> a mailing list. Feel free to give your feedback/criticism.
>>
>> Anyway, it was a good night. Thanks!
>
> Sorry for the slow reply. I just wanted to say quickly that I think
> this is a great idea. I've been wanting something like this to happen
> for ages, but not had the time and energy to do anything about it, so
> thanks for getting things started.
>
> A few thoughts:
> - it would be good to have a wiki on the site where people can post
> details of, or links to, projects they've built.
> - I've met a few people recently who are looking for workshop space
> for similar projects. There are also some ideas floating around about
> looking for a building that could be a centre for a variety of small
> community oriented projects in Lancaster. This is more long term
> though.
>
> I suggested to a friend that we should have an email list for people
> interested in stuff like this, who want to share ideas on finding
> places to work from, dealing with official stuff, etc. I'm still
> waiting for him to get back to me, but when he does I should be able
> to set this up fairly quickly.
>
> andy baxter

Cheers for the feedback! :)

I am planning on having a wiki of some form. I'd initially just shoved
a wordpress site up, but the wiki modules weren't that good. I'll
possibly put a full wiki on there soon.

I agree, an actual premises is a long term goal. Need to measure actual
need and support for now. If we can get a good community going then we
should be able to find somewhere affordable.

There is a mailing list set up now, the link is at the bottom of the
main page, and I've put a link to the archive on the main menu too. To
join, send an email to chat+subscribe at lancasterlab.org.uk. Only a chat
one set up for now, but if more specific things are needed, only takes
two seconds to create a new one.

Darren.