[Lancaster] Geekup tonight?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 10:36:12 UTC 2012

On 12/01/12 00:06, Darren Poulson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Was good meeting you guys tonight, and look forward to the next
> meeting. :)
>
> As I mentioned, I'm really interested in the idea of a maker/hacker
> lab in lancaster, or at least getting a good community going of people
> interested in this type of thing, which will include everything from
> linux to textiles and everything in between! I definitely feel this is
> the natural evolution of open source and linux, with a sharing of
> tools and skills instead of source code.
>
> As a first attempt, I've set up www.lancasterlab.org.uk, along with a
> mailing list. Feel free to give your feedback/criticism.
>
> Anyway, it was a good night. Thanks!

Sorry for the slow reply. I just wanted to say quickly that I think this
is a great idea. I've been wanting something like this to happen for
ages, but not had the time and energy to do anything about it, so thanks
for getting things started.

A few thoughts:
- it would be good to have a wiki on the site where people can post
details of, or links to, projects they've built.
- I've met a few people recently who are looking for workshop space for
similar projects. There are also some ideas floating around about
looking for a building that could be a centre for a variety of small
community oriented projects in Lancaster. This is more long term though.

I suggested to a friend that we should have an email list for people
interested in stuff like this, who want to share ideas on finding places
to work from, dealing with official stuff, etc. I'm still waiting for
him to get back to me, but when he does I should be able to set this up
fairly quickly.

andy baxter