[Lancaster] Geekup tonight?

Darren Poulson llug at 22balmoralroad.net
Tue Jan 17 12:58:22 UTC 2012

On 17.01.2012 11:33, andy baxter wrote:
> On 17/01/12 11:11, Darren Poulson wrote:
>>
>> Cheers for the feedback! :)
>>
>> I am planning on having a wiki of some form. I'd initially just
>> shoved a wordpress site up, but the wiki modules weren't that good.
>> I'll possibly put a full wiki on there soon.
>>

> If you haven't done this yet, dokuwiki is a nice simple PHP wiki
> which has easy syntax (e.g. **bold** instead of lots of single
> quotes), supports handy things like namespaces, and doesn't need a
> database. There are also plugins to do neat things like 2 way syncing
> between a local copy of the wiki and the one on the web. I use this
> on
> my personal site (http://highfellow.org), and I've found it pretty
> good.

Cool, I'll have a look at that.

>> I agree, an actual premises is a long term goal. Need to measure
>> actual need and support for now. If we can get a good community going
>> then we should be able to find somewhere affordable.
>>
>> There is a mailing list set up now, the link is at the bottom of the
>> main page, and I've put a link to the archive on the main menu too. To
>> join, send an email to chat+subscribe at lancasterlab.org.uk. Only a chat
>> one set up for now, but if more specific things are needed, only takes
>> two seconds to create a new one.
>
> The list I was thinking about it a bit more general - I was just
> thinking that it would be good to have a list for anyone thinking of
> setting up a small community oriented project in the area to talk to
> people doing similar things. This might be broader than just geek
> stuff. I'm still waiting for my friend to say what he thinks of the
> welcome email I drafted (see below) before I set it up.
>
> For the welcome email, I was thinking of something like:

Sounds like a fab idea. I don't want the lancaster lab thing to be just
geeks either, thats why I'm trying to stay clear of the terms 'hack' or
'hackers' and concentrating more on 'make' and 'maker'. Could scare too
many people off, and making things can include community projects that
might not have a physical product. Community is definitely the buzz word
to use. I think we need to find out all the people with similar ideas
and consolidate them. Fragmentation at this stage isn't going to help
anyone, that can come later! ;) It just needs marketing (urgh, just got
a shiver for saying that word!) properly. Whether this is done under the
name of lancasterlab, or something else, I'm easy! I just built the
website to see if I could get the ball rolling. I'm sure if we got
everyone in lancaster who has been thinking along these lines together,
we can get something decent going.

Darren.