[Lancaster] Geekup tonight?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 19:58:36 UTC 2012

On 17/01/12 12:58, Darren Poulson wrote:

>> The list I was thinking about it a bit more general - I was just
>> thinking that it would be good to have a list for anyone thinking of
>> setting up a small community oriented project in the area to talk to
>> people doing similar things. This might be broader than just geek
>> stuff. I'm still waiting for my friend to say what he thinks of the
>> welcome email I drafted (see below) before I set it up.
>>
>> For the welcome email, I was thinking of something like:
>>

> Sounds like a fab idea. I don't want the lancaster lab thing to be
> just geeks either, thats why I'm trying to stay clear of the terms
> 'hack' or 'hackers' and concentrating more on 'make' and 'maker'.
> Could scare too many people off, and making things can include
> community projects that might not have a physical product. Community
> is definitely the buzz word to use. I think we need to find out all
> the people with similar ideas and consolidate them. Fragmentation at
> this stage isn't going to help anyone, that can come later! ;) It just
> needs marketing (urgh, just got a shiver for saying that word!)
> properly. Whether this is done under the name of lancasterlab, or
> something else, I'm easy! I just built the website to see if I could
> get the ball rolling. I'm sure if we got everyone in lancaster who has
> been thinking along these lines together, we can get something decent
> going.
>
> Darren.

Just letting people know I've set up the mailing list I was talking
about. It's intended for anyone who's involved in setting up or running
a community-oriented project or business in the Lancaster area, not
specifically limited to geek stuff. If you know of anyone who might find
this useful, please let them know.

You can find out more, and join the list here: