[Lancaster] Last night's meeting

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 15:46:55 UTC 2012

Dave Leack wrote:

>For our current office space,
><http://www.lancasterlab.org.uk/wiki/index.php/File:DavesOffice.jpg>picture
>link (excuse the mess), we pay roughly £400 a
>month. Actually, thinking about it, I don't know
>how reasonable that is. Something to think about
>though. (maybe we could get a 50% subsidy from
>the council, then we could afford a space this
>size with 20 members at a tenner each...)

HacMan (http://hacman.org.uk ) charge £25/month.
They've recently relocated as MADlab wasn't
really big enough, plus there were constraints -
eg can't make a lot of noise if the meeting space
is in use by another group. So that's 16 full
members to pay the rent, more like 20+ by the
time you've paid the rates and utilities etc -
less if you can get any discount/grant towards
the costs.

Of course, you do need to have some structure and
safety rules in place - or you can get to be in
the papers :
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/943138-196/makeit-labs-the-new-hackerspace-in-nashua.html
(linked from the Wikipedia article on Hackspaces)

I'd love to be within easy (read cost affordable
!) commuting distance of one - even Lancaster
doesn't do it for me, being up near the end of
the 40 mile cul-de-sac that is the A590 !

--
Simon Hobson