[Lancaster] Last night's meeting

Dave Leack david.leack at veraz.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 10:05:40 UTC 2012

Tried to post this yesterday but with the image attached it ended up too
big to go through, so I'll link the image on G+ instead :)
A good meeting indeed.
As I was saying last night, there's talk around the office of setting up a
monthly(?) meeting of engineering business folks to throw ideas around and
generally chat about tech stuff. If that gets off the ground, I'll have a
lot of opportunity to push the maker-space idea to local business.
White Cross estate normally has at least *some* free units and the rent can
be pretty reasonable. I'm obviously slightly biased because if the place
ends up being on the estate I can be there almost all the time :D
For our current office space, picture
link<http://www.lancasterlab.org.uk/wiki/index.php/File:DavesOffice.jpg>(excuse
the mess), we pay roughly £400 a month. Actually, thinking about
it, I don't know how reasonable that is. Something to think about though.
(maybe we could get a 50% subsidy from the council, then we could afford a
space this size with 20 members at a tenner each...)

The things I can donate are: Free time, some degree of programming ability,
PC tech support, Blender (pre and post 2.5 UI update) usage help, Arduino
usage help (up to a point) and enthusiasm.
The things I can't help with are: Complex electronics knowledge, manual
tool skills, artistic talent and money, mainly because I have none of these.

I'll keep you all posted with respect to the tech business club as it
develops.

Vive la révolucion fabriquer!

Dave

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Mark Keating <m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk>wrote:

> Thanks for posting the meeting notes and discussion points (I added
> notes). To add to this I am more than happy to kickstart the meeting space
> and as mentioned you can utilise our facilities until something more
> organised is made.
>
> Sorry I couldn't make the meeting but I have small children so sometimes
> have issues with times, will make sure I keep up with the website material.
> Will ask Ian (who works at SC) to talk to some of his contacts about
> getting more interest.
>
> -mdk
>

> On 29/11/2012 12:23, Darren Poulson wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a good plan! Was a good meeting last night, and thanks to
>> Andy for showing us Buddycloud (buddycloud.org). Going to have a look at
>> that in the near future.
>>
>> I'll start a wiki page on the website (www.lancasterlab.org.uk) with
>> some minutes from the discussion, or similar, and post a link on the
>> google+ page. There is also a google groups for mailing list/forum type
>> discussion. ( https://groups.google.com/**forum/?fromgroups#!forum/**
>> lancaster-lab<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/lancaster-lab>)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Darren.
>>
>> On 29/11/12 11:28, jonath wrote:
>>
>>> HELLO!
>>>
>>> At last night's meeting it seemed like we might have a plan forming
>>> regarding this 'hacker/maker space' idea. Dave and Darren had loads of
>>> ideas and ways we can progress this. Is it possible we could document
>>> this somehow and form a proper plan? I dunno . . . via the Google+
>>> group or some shared Google documents . . . a web page somewhere . . .
>>> whatever seems best.
>>>
>>> I think it sounds like a fantastic idea and if there's anything I can
>>> do to help, any voluntary work I can do then count me in. The
>>> questions are: who's doing what for when and how (and where?!) ?
>>>
>>> Here's a link to the Google+ group that Darren created:
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/**107204728787918957188/posts<https://plus.google.com/u/0/107204728787918957188/posts>
>>>
>>> jonathan

> --
> Mark Keating BA (Hons), Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder.
> Managing Director: http://www.shadow.cat
> For more that I do visit: http://www.mdk.me

Dave Leack
Director