[Lancaster] Hosting - WebFaction

Richard Robinson llug_6a at beulah.qualmograph.org.uk
Thu Dec 5 17:00:43 UTC 2013

Hi.

I'm thinking of looking for new hosting for a website, and the one that's
looking best is WebFaction - their description of how to use their control
panel to set up your own code as a daemon and contact it over a port is v.
impressive, and exactly the sort of stuff I need - and I think I remember
that it was mentioned favourably here, a while back. By Andy Baxter, IIRC,
and maybe a couple of others.

So, given that that was a while ago, maybe there are people here who've been
using it for a while. Does anyone have any comments on what it's like,
long-term, is it really as good as it looks ? Or if you dropped it, why ?

What I have is a backend database (perl + mysql) running as a json-rpc
server behind an /API url, and a front-end Drupal website that asks it
questions and displays the results (plus a little bit of static content),
plus I like to do development on the same server via ssh. Which isn't going
to work on most cheap hosting, but from what I've seen so far, looks as if
it'd be right up WebFaction's street. I've been doing it on a VPS so far,
which was good while I was working out how to do it, but now I know that I'd
really prefer to find somewhere with more competent admin (wry smiley).

--
Richard Robinson