[Lincs] Re: YaST / bare with me

EN Baker lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 2 14:00:00 2003

Ok... i'll try... but i am only going by my limited experience... i am a
nearly newbie myself.
i shall remove part of the advice because it doesnt seem accurate anymore -
it must have been a one off glitch... here goes...
.
.
.
(1)
download the file into your home directory, and select it in konqueror...

click install with YaST

YaST will load under software install

(if your logged on as you and not as root it will ask for your root
passworrd)

YaST should install it like it installs anything you select from the normal
install menu... popping up any conflicts then updating the system...

installed!!!

or

(2)
download the file into your home directory

open YaST (if your logged on as you and not root, it will ask for the root
password) and select 'Change Source'

enter your home directory  /home/username   and accept it

click install/remove software

install the RPM you want to install

YaST should install it like it installs anything you select from the normal
install menu... popping up any conflicts then updating the system...

installed!!!

occasionally instead of downlaoding the RPM Konquerer Web Browser will open
the RPM like it does in File manager mode... in this case you can click
'install with YaST' and install the package the same way as proccess (1)

i tried to download an rpm to take screenshots to aid this email, but
unforunately everything i tried to download was a tar... sorry... if you
still have problems email me and i'll try again to get illustrations... or
if you'd prefer i could come to you and try myself, and show you what i'm
doing... but that would depend on you being near Lincoln city centre, as i'm
just south of the city and have no car (i killed it at new year).

i hope this helps
if not i appologise, but without playing about i can not see why it insists
on a cd (unless you dont have the required lib in which case it would come
up as a dependancy fault and ask if you want to ignore it or remove things
or install things)...

good luck
Iain