[Lincs] Unrealistic expectations? (Was: No-one there!)

Laura Perry laura at everyoneloves.me.uk
Thu Aug 19 09:03:17 BST 2004

Marc Mc Guinness wrote:

> I'm disappointed of the list members because
> - we had votes on days and times for our IRC meetings, but not more
> than 3 people attend.

For me at least thats because I work when the meetings are on so I can't
attend.

> - list members said they would attend to our meeting on Monday, but
> didn't.

There were only a couple of emails about something that you had arranged
and I'd heard nothing about it until a few days before.. People can't be
expected to drop everything to meet in a pub!

> - we ask a basic question like "what topic (networking? programming?
> office software?) would you like to hear a talk about?" and only 2
> people answer.

(Assuming this is for the Monday meeting...?) I couldn't go in the first
place so it wouldn't be any good me replying!

> How shall we organise and plan the first official meeting, if nobody
> tells us what they'd like to have for that meeting?

Just relax! People are already doing talks, isn't the point of the
meeting to enjoy ourselves? Its not a formal gathering its just a few
people getting together to discuss their interest. We have a location,
time and date, speakers.. what more do we need? Just look forward to it
now and stop worrying about how many people will turn up. Quality, not
quantity :)

>> Hopefully this feedback will be read in the spirit it was sent.

And don't take my feedback the wrong way, I'm merely explaining from my
point of view (a follower of the list who doesn't often feel she has
anything worth contributing)

Laura