[Lincs] multitude of sins

iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:52:41 BST 2005

i have the strange feeling mailman doesnt like me at the mo- but we'll try
this anyway (sorry if its smart enough to add it to the conversation string
i hijacked to make sure it sent)
 Sin 1) Laptops
i have sent a message before but like i said - i dont think mail man likes
me so... does anyone know a good manufacturer of laptops? i am looking to
get a decent spec, somewhat future proof laptop at a not
<dubious_spelling>extorshionate</dubious_spelling> prices, and rather
unsurprisingly want it to be linux compatible...
 Sin 2) LLUG Distro
Does anybody remember a pipe dream about a Lug specific Live Distro for use
as promotional gizzits and for Real Life meetings (more on them later)??
I eould love to see this happen, and i would love to see comunity
involvement! My happiest moment as a LLUG member was in the development of
the new website, pull up a sand bag while i wander down memory lane. I had
uploaded v0.1 of my entrant in the website design competition, and had asked
all present in our IRC room for feedback... and there was quite a bit of it.
due to the sterling efforts of Marc suggestions were implemented on one of
the pages within the prototype... then, with me editing a second page of the
prototype, we were able to trial run the suggestions as they were made...
and someone within our fold (forgive me for forgetting whom) said how
impressed they were in seeing community development in action!
 i know it may not be quite as 'live' but i'd love to see that passion
brought back into the lug, and the distro may be a nice place to start? give
us something to focus on?
what do you say?
 sin 3) Real Life Meetings
we need one!
anyone disagree?
i would love to organise a meeting full of demo's and tutorials, because
that would be fun and interesting... but i think we may have a darker need
for them. unless we can get IRC meetings at a time everyone can be online
(which seems unlikely from before) i think we should meet up to discuss the
future, to discuss what we want to do, create and achieve... and maybe to
have a friendly drink and chat...
 just my oppinion and if people disagree then please feel free to let me
know... but if thats what others want i will see what i can do to get one
near Lincoln City Centre (a central point, the best i can think of for a
fair location)
 sin 4) Future
either mailman REALLY dislikes me or the conversation thread has faded
away... what do people think we should do about the splitting in
half/keeping unified issue?
does anyone have a 'LUG Dream' of what they see us achieving for ourselves,
for lincolnshire, and/or for linux?
 where are we going?
 we had a passion when we built the site (sorry to revert to it but it was
our hayday) because we had a goal, we had something to aim at, and we could
see a way to achieve it... do we need to create more goals, targets, and
missions to keep a passion? are there differant areas we can have these
objectives to allow everyone a fair crack at the whip?
 this is everyones LUG, lets get some love back into it! lets get a Lug we
are proud of, lets get me a new laptop
:-)
 iain