[Lincs] multitude of sins

Dave Rice dave at ricey.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 23:47:06 BST 2005

iain Baker wrote:

> i have the strange feeling mailman doesnt like me at the mo- but we'll
> try this anyway (sorry if its smart enough to add it to the
> conversation string i hijacked to make sure it sent)
>
> Sin 1) Laptops
> i have sent a message before but like i said - i dont think mail man
> likes me so... does anyone know a good manufacturer of laptops? i am
> looking to get a decent spec, somewhat future proof laptop at a not
> <dubious_spelling>extorshionate</dubious_spelling> prices, and rather
> unsurprisingly want it to be linux compatible...

I've found advent to be quite good, but my best experience is with a
fujitsu Amilo machine...v nice  ;)

> Sin 2) LLUG Distro
> Does anybody remember a pipe dream about a Lug specific Live Distro
> for use as promotional gizzits and for Real Life meetings (more on
> them later)??
> I eould love to see this happen, and i would love to see comunity
> involvement! My happiest moment as a LLUG member was in the
> development of the new website, pull up a sand bag while i wander down
> memory lane. I had uploaded v0.1 of my entrant in the website design
> competition, and had asked all present in our IRC room for feedback...
> and there was quite a bit of it. due to the sterling efforts of Marc
> suggestions were implemented on one of the pages within the
> prototype... then, with me editing a second page of the prototype, we
> were able to trial run the suggestions as they were made... and
> someone within our fold (forgive me for forgetting whom) said how
> impressed they were in seeing community development in action!
>
> i know it may not be quite as 'live' but i'd love to see that passion
> brought back into the lug, and the distro may be a nice place to
> start? give us something to focus on?
> what do you say?

I've been looking at ways of doing a distro, and it is definately
possible, but i/we need input from everyone to get the details of what
we want in it, what to base it on (debian,redhat etc) and how it should
look....i'm willing to out my time and clock cycles into the idea of
LincsLinux!

> sin 3) Real Life Meetings
> we need one!
> anyone disagree?
> i would love to organise a meeting full of demo's and tutorials,
> because that would be fun and interesting... but i think we may have a
> darker need for them. unless we can get IRC meetings at a time
> everyone can be online (which seems unlikely from before) i think we
> should meet up to discuss the future, to discuss what we want to do,
> create and achieve... and maybe to have a friendly drink and chat...
>
> just my oppinion and if people disagree then please feel free to let
> me know... but if thats what others want i will see what i can do to
> get one near Lincoln City Centre (a central point, the best i can
> think of for a fair location)

agreed, Lincoln is prob the best place, we do live in lincolnshire
afterall  ;)   lol

> sin 4) Future
> either mailman REALLY dislikes me or the conversation thread has faded
> away... what do people think we should do about the splitting in
> half/keeping unified issue?
> does anyone have a 'LUG Dream' of what they see us achieving for
> ourselves, for lincolnshire, and/or for linux?
>
> where are we going?

I don't like the idea of a split, IMHO. we need to get together and talk
about this really

> we had a passion when we built the site (sorry to revert to it but it
> was our hayday) because we had a goal, we had something to aim at, and
> we could see a way to achieve it... do we need to create more goals,
> targets, and missions to keep a passion? are there differant areas we
> can have these objectives to allow everyone a fair crack at the whip?

er...yes

> this is everyones LUG, lets get some love back into it! lets get a Lug
> we are proud of, lets get me a new laptop
> :-)
>
> iain

here, here

lots of love and things!